As people begin to care more about their impact on the environment but still want the benefits of soft water, eco-friendly water softeners are becoming more popular. But is a water softener even necessary? If it is, how do you go about finding the water softener that will meet your needs AND be environmentally friendly? That’s exactly what we’re going to explore right now.
Hard Water in the United States
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, hard water is defined as water that is “high in dissolved minerals, largely calcium and magnesium.” While hard water doesn’t necessarily look any different, it can often feel different and exhibit its effects throughout your home.
Signs of hard water include:
- Water spots on dishes and silverware
- Mineral stains on sinks, toilets, showers, and fixtures
- Clogged pipes
- Dry, brittle hair
- Dry, itchy skin
- Increased usage of soaps and detergents to create a lather
Exactly how common is hard water in the United States? Well, most sources estimate that 85% of U.S. households have hard water. Check out the map below to see if there’s a high prevalence of hard water where you live.
When hard water isn’t treated, it can end up costing you more money day after day, year after year.
- You will need to use more cleaning agents, such as soaps, shampoos, and detergents to get things clean.
- Water-using appliances use more energy and wear out faster thanks to mineral buildup inside them.
- Light colored laundry won’t stay white and linens wear out more quickly.
- Scale buildup inside your water heater reduces efficiency and can cause appliance malfunctioning or failure.
So, back to the question of whether or not a water softener is actually necessary … Consider the list above and decide for yourself!
How to Find Eco-Friendly Water Softeners
If you’ve decided not to live with the hassles of hard water, it’s time to find a water softener that will take care of your hard water problems but also be environmentally-friendly. Here are a few options for eco-friendly water softeners:
1. Salt-Based Water Softeners – These water softening systems remove minerals from hard water, replacing them with salt through an ion exchange process. Many of the water softeners we offer are self-adjusting systems that use less salt, water, and electricity than other salt-based water softeners on the market today. Models vary in size and features but they all have one thing in common – they’re an affordable way to save your household from the negative effects of hard water. For the most eco-friendly water softeners, you can choose from our Palm Springs Water Systems VERSA, Palm Springs Water Systems Smart Twin Tank, or Palm Springs Water Systems Guardian Elite models.
2. No-Salt Water Conditioners – If you want to reduce scale buildup and prevent corrosion of your appliances and plumbing, another eco-friendly option is a no-salt water conditioner. Tailored to meet your specific needs, these systems can reduce water impurities that wreak havoc on your home and the environment.
3. Soft Water Delivery Service – The ultimate in eco-friendly water softeners is our Portable Exchange Tank Service, otherwise known as soft water delivery. No electricity or salt is required, meaning less waste and less energy usage. Instead of having to purchase and maintain a water softener yourself, we do all the work for you! Soft water is delivered straight to your door by our expert technicians. Then, the soft water tanks are exchanged regularly according to a schedule that’s designed to meet your water usage needs.
Get the Best Eco-Friendly Water Softeners and Water Treatment Products in Palm Springs
At Palm Springs Water Systems, we understand the importance of soft water. We also understand the importance of each of us doing our part to protect the environment for future generations. That’s why we offer a variety of eco-friendly water softeners and other water treatment products that are good for you AND the environment.
If you’re ready to explore your environmentally-friendly water treatment options, simply give us a call today!